Underarm bleaching; symptoms, causes & treatments
For many people, dark underarms can be embarrassing. Dark underarm skin can keep some people from dressing in sleeveless tops, wearing bathing suits, or strapless dresses. Like skin blemishes, skin discoloration can result in a lack of confidence and self-esteem.
What causes dark armpits? There are several causes for underarms becoming darker including:
- deodorants and antiperspirants (chemical irritants)
- shaving (irritation and abrasion)
- dead skin cell accumulation (lack of exfoliation)
- friction (tight clothes)
- smoker’s melanosis (hyperpigmentation caused by smoking)
- hyperpigmentation (increased melanin)
- acanthosis nigricans (often a sign of diabetes, obesity, or abnormal hormone levels)
- erythrasma (bacterial infection)
- melasma (dark patches on skin)
- Addison’s disease (damaged adrenal gland)
What are the first steps to lighten your underarms?
The first response to the “how to lighten armpits” question is to address some of the basic causes:
- Change your brand of deodorant/antiperspirant. Some people switch to a natural alternative such as baking soda or apple cider vinegar. Some people stop using a deodorant altogether.
- Stop shaving. Some people select waxing or laser hair removal instead.
- Many people use a body scrub or a facial exfoliator two to three times a week.
- Wear loose-fitting clothes.
- Stop smoking.
Underarm lightening also known as underarm bleaching is usually in more of a demand by women rather than men. Simply because most guys keep their underarm hair, and it is socially acceptable. while most females start practicing a type of hair removal, such as waxing, shaving, laser or sugaring from early teenage years.
It does not matter what ethnic race or skin color you are from; the underarm discoloration can occur in any skin color. Sometimes underarm discoloration can occur simply from shaving and the area getting irritated over time. There are many factors that can go into someone getting underarm discoloration and needing an underarm lightening treatment. From our experience hormone change, age and weight gain or weight loss have a lot to do with the underarm discoloration.